0141 333 0404

Housing Benefit

Applying For Help With Rental Payments

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to cover all or part of your rent. You do not need to be receiving other benefits to qualify.

If you receive Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, you will be entitled to receive Housing Benefit.

If you are working or on any other benefit it is likely that if Housing Benefit is paid it may not cover your full rent.  This means that you will have to pay something towards your rent. We will be able to calculate how much rent you need to pay and this will be based on how much Housing Benefit is awarded by the Council each week.

Claiming for Housing Benefit

You need to complete and send in a Housing Benefit application form to Glasgow City Council if you wish to apply. You will also need to provide proof of income to the Council. This includes your 3 most recent payslips if you are working. If you are not working you will need to provide confirmation of what benefits you are receiving. All income must be declared and you will also need to provide proof of your identity in the form of a passport or birth certificate.

These forms can be complicated and our staff will help to check your Housing Benefit form if you wish.

The other service we can offer is to carry out an on-line check by accessing the Council’s website. We will need to ask you a few questions about your household and your income. The benefit to you is that you will have an idea of what your entitlement could be once your application has been submitted to the Council.      

What Other Advice Is Available?

The Association does not employ welfare rights specialists directly.  If you need specific advice on money matters we would recommend that you contact your nearest Citizens’ Advice Bureau or Money Advice Centre.  The contact telephone numbers for the nearest offices for our area are 0141-946-6373 (Citizens Advice Bureau, Maryhill) and 0141-572-0237 (Money Advice Scotland).   

Housing Element (Universal Credit)

Universal Credit was introduced to Glasgow in June 2015.  Tenants who need to claim universal credit will receive the 'housing element' directly and this element is what you need to pay to the Association.  It replaces Housing Benefit.

We have a page on our website dedicated to Universal Credit and the page is kept up to date with the most up to date details available.  If you would like to find out more on what Universal Credit is and what happens through the application process please visit our page here



Contact Details

Charing Cross Housing Association
31 Ashley Street
Glasgow G3 6DR
Tel:  0141 333 0404
E-mail:  cxha@cxha.org.uk

Opening Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
9:00am - 4.30pm

1st & 3rd Wednesday (9.00am- 1.00pm closed)

Open from 1.00 pm - 4.30 pm

We are open at lunchtime

We are closed on weekends

Useful Numbers

CXHA Emergency Repairs:  0800 595 595

Gas Heating Emergency (for Tenants only):  07725 012200

Gas Emergency:  0800 111 999
Scottish Power Emergency:  0845 272 7999
Scottish Water:  0845 600 8855
Fire, Police, Ambulance:   999

Shelter Helpline:  0800 800 4444

(8am-8pm weekdays, 9am-5pm weekends) 


Scottish Housing Regulator Registration Number: HCB 88
Scottish Charity Number: SC042842

Registered with the Financial Conduct Authority Number:  1805RS

Property Factored Registered Number: PF00025 


Logo Scottish GovernmentLogo Scottish Social Services CouncilSPSO Logo 2019Logo Citizens Advice Logo Glasgow City CouncilLogo Scottish Housing Regulator
© 2012 - 2019 Charing Cross HA

Website by Kiswebs Web & App Design