Our tenants are gradually being moved from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit since the Universal Credit roll out on 31 October 2018.
If you are claiming Universal Credit or need to make start making a claim
- Speak to your Housing Officer to make arrangements to pay your rent as in most cases the "rent element" of UC will be paid direct to yourself and not your landlord.
- Contact us if you are worried about paying your rent as you can apply for the "rent element" to be paid direct to Charing Cross Housing Association.
- Housing element costs awarded does not always cover your full rent charge and you may have to apply for additional benefits ie Discretionary Housing Payment for additional bedrooms.
- Make sure you are able to budget for your rent and other bills - we can refer you to our Welfare Rights & Money Advisor who holds a surgery in our offices every Wednesday afternoon who can help with this.
- Arrears in your rent account! you can agree to have 3rd party dpayment deductions paid direct to your rent account including your rent element.
- Make sure you have a bank account that your UC payment can be paid into.
We are working in partnership with the Universal Credit Team at DWP and have regular meetings with them, we would ask if you have any concerns, questions then to let us know. This could be beneficial at our meetings.
For more information contact Sandra McGillivray, Housing Officer on 0141 333 0404 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org